Huawei launched their P30 Series today in Paris at their #RewriteTheRules event. The Chinese telecoms giant is clearly looking to extend their impressive run of smartphone imaging acclaim.
Having made waves with P20 Pro, Huawei have a strong reputation in the imaging field. The 102,400 ISO of that device was the highest score seen in a smartphone. Beating that number was clearly a priority for Huawei P30 Series.
Imaging is Everything
Huawei have a few tricks to move the bar further. The four lens set-up replaces Green with Yellow – allegedly for colour accuracy and depth. This feature will be less noticeable to consumers as the 5x optical zoom and 10x ‘lossless hybrid’ – both work exactly as expected. Shaky hands will test the AI’s sharpening skills but it’s very impressive.
Huawei P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro‘s 102,400 ISO has been left in the dust by P30 Pro’s obscene 409,600. That’s almost DSLR territory – the P30 Pro might not match a full-size dedicated unit but it holds its own and fits in your pocket.
The ‘night mode’ seen in P20 Pro and Mate 20 Pro was a sweet feature that sold quite a few ‘grammers on the devices. There is no ‘night mode’ in P30 Pro – the device automatically reads the light level and then performs some magic. The low-light sensor is beyond description – will post some night shots later.
One of the most overlooked features of Huawei P30 Pro is its battery – the 4,200mAh capacity of Huawei Mate 20 Pro makes it way to the P-Series.
With less pixels to push on the P30 Pro this writer can imagine a slight increase in the excellent stamina of Huawei flagships.
Specifications (P30 Pro)
- Chipset: Kirin 980; octa-core CPU, Cortex A-57 & A-55
- Memory: 128GB/256GB/512GB Storage, 8GB RAM; expandable w/NM Card up to 256GB
- Display: Fullscreen 6.47″, 2340 x 1080, 19.5:9, DCI-OLED
- Rear Camera: Four lens setup – 40MP ‘SuperSpectrum’ lens, f/1.6 + 20MP Ultra-Wide Angle lens, f/2.2 + 8MP ‘Periscope Zoom’, 5x Optical zoom w/10x lossless hybrid zoom, 50x lossy hybrid, f/3.4 + Huawei ‘Time of Flight’ camera
- Front Camera: 32MP, f/2.0, panorama, HDR, 1080@30
- Video Capture: 4K@60, 1080p120, 1080p60, 1080p30 (Gyro-EIS), 720p960, 720p60, 720p30
- OS Version: EMUI 9.0 (on top of Android Pie 9.0.0)
- Connectivity: LTE Cat. 21(1.4Gbps download), USB-C, Wi-Fi 802.11 2×2 MIMO a/b/g/n/ac 5GHz, A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, NFC, Bluetooth 5.0 + LE
- Battery: 4,200 mAh
- Dimensions: 158×73.4×8.41mm
- Colours Available: Pearlescent White, Twilight, Amber Sunrise, Black, Aurora
Huawei P30 is available from around €739, P30 Pro comes in at €999 – both are available now.